The barton of "Tregonan" was the chief tenement on the monastic manor of Lankeverne (Church Town),with a small cell of Cistercian monks from the Abbey of Beaulieu in Hampshire. In a list of their possessions made at the dissolution of the monasteries in 1538, "Tregonan (firma. molend) is given a rental value of £1-2-6. Tregoning was then probably a large farm with a mill, and perhaps a chapel and burying ground attached.
By 1840, the ruins of the monastic dwellings had almost disappeared but the mill tenement which remained consisted of Dwelling House, field, two water-mills, and garden, while water was supplied via a leat and three ponds from the Porthoustock stream below the Priory.
The small upper mill building still stands, constructed of stone and cob with a slated roof hipped at one end, and gabled at the other where the 14 foot diameter wooden overshot wheel was formerly positioned. The last farmer to grind corn there about 1916 was named Pearce.
When we arrived the mill building was derelict with no sign of any machinery. We have restored the building and it is now used as a library.
The remains of the monastic buildings can still be seen at Tregoning (renamed Tregoning Manor in the 1980s) which is a private house with Holiday lets available. Click here for details.
The parish of St. Keverne is the largest, and one of the most important historically, in Western Cornwall, lying within the district known as "Meneage", from the Cornish Meneghek meaning "monastic". It extends over some 10,300 acres, and by virtue of its great size, was from an early date divided into four distinct areas or "Turns" viz. Turn Bean ("little"),to the north-east; Turn Traboe, the north-west; Turn Trelan, to the south west: and Turn Tregarn, the east. All four met at the Church Town, or "Lankeverne", which formed a separate district in its own right